At our Red Cederberg accommodation destinations, you don’t share your facilities, space or privacy with any other tourists. When you or your group visit any of our tourist destinations, it is allocated to you exclusively, at no additional cost above our normal rental rates.
BAKKRANS – “Real old-style veld cottages”
Bakkrans is a remote and little known wilderness area in the rugged eastern Red Cederberg. It has magnificent mountain ranges and a great variety of plant species, indigenous game, birds and other wildlife. Its earlier human history is captured in rock paintings that are thousands of years old. Artefacts that are thought to be ±100 000 years old have been found here.
The houses are traditionally thatched, stone-walled veld cottages, built with materials that were mostly obtained from the reserve. We have furnished them to reflect the lifestyle of herders, who stayed in this area during a bygone Cape frontier era
We do not take in other guests once you have booked the reserve for yourself. Also, our private Cederberg 4×4 routes are not open to the public, but only to our visitors at Bakkrans. We do specially packaged guided tours, with themes such as: Cederberg Tracking, Cederberg Rock Art, Red Cederberg Nature Trails, Cederberg Spring Flowers, etc.
- 8 guests can be accommodated in 4 private cottages, each with 2 single beds. Each cottage has its own separate shower and toilet facilities. We supply full bedding and towels as well as all cookware, utensils, crockery, glasses, cutlery and braai grids.
- A kitchen facility with a fridge/freezer is available to store and prepare food.
- We supply gas for cooking and for the bathrooms and 2 bags of firewood free of charge each night. Extra firewood can also be purchased at Bakkrans.
- A reserve manager will be on call to ensure that the services and facilities available to you are maintained and functional at all times.
- Please note: We do not allow or facilitate daytrips to Bakkrans.
MOOI WERF COTTAGES – “Traditional Sederberg veldhuisies”
This secluded and private site is situated in mountain renosterveld, just off the Wupperthal route. It consists of beautiful examples of the original old-style Sederberg stone cottages of which very few, if any, are left today. It is ideal for the fully-equipped traveller who prefers complete freedom in a quiet setting. It has spacious, thatched stone huts, as well as thatched braai facilities. The neat ablution facilities have hot showers, as well as flush toilets.
Mooi Werf is within easy reach of a variety of Cederberg activities and attractions such as river swimming, wine tasting, horse riding, rock art, observatory star gazing, 4×4 routes, etc. At Mooi Werf you can do mountain climbing, leisure walking, mountain biking. Our short easy to walk Wolfberg hiking trail now makes it possible for almost anyone to reach the Wolfberg Arch.
- There are 2 houses with 3 single beds each and one house with 2 single beds. Each house is supplied with a lantern for light. There are two sets of bathroom facilities, each equipped with a hot water shower, a washbasin and a flush toilet. We supply the gas for the bathroom facilities.
- Visitors bring their own cutlery & crockery, utensils, cooking appliances, fridges, braai equipment, gas supply, bedding, bathroom requisites, chairs, tables, etc.
- Firewood can be purchased at Keurbosfontein farmstead.
- Visitors often travel the road to Mooi Werf in ordinary sedan cars, but the last section is in parts uneven and not ideal for motor vehicles with a very low road clearance.
KEURBOSFONTEIN COTTAGE – “A historic Sederberg farmyard”
This self-catering guest cottage is situated on the Keurbosfontein farmyard. As this is the only guest cottage on the farm, our visitors can enjoy peace and quiet. You do not have to share any facilities or space with other tourists.
Keurbosfontein is a historic farm which nestles in the beautiful Red Cederberg. The main farmhouse, which is almost 200 years old, was carefully restored, as well as all the other old buildings on the farmstead.
Many of the traditions of the region are still in practice here and the farm has an old-world feel. Electricity is not utilized – by choice. Here you find old pear, almond, fig and oak trees, some of which are more than 150 years old. The greater part of the farm’s original water furrow is still in everyday use.
We have incredibly clear skies for stargazing and also for enjoying full-moon nights.
Our short, easy to walk Wolfberg hiking trail now makes it possible for almost anyone to reach the Wolfberg Arch.
- The cottage is fully furnished and has an open plan lounge/dining/kitchen area with an inside fire-place, as well as one bedroom, a separate bathroom and an undercover stoep.
- 4 guests (maximum) can be accommodated. 1 Double bed in the bedroom & 2 bunk beds in open plan area, are available.
- Gas is used in the kitchen and bathroom. Candles and battery lanterns are used for lighting.
- We supply full bedding and bathroom towels (Guests must bring their own towels for the pool).
- We supply cookware, utensils, crockery, glasses, cutlery, braai grids, etc. The kitchen has a fridge/freezer and a 4-plate stove.
- We have a 8×3 meter swimming pool, with a stream of fresh fountain water which runs through it daily.
- We supply 1 bag of firewood free of charge for each night. Extra firewood can be purchased at the farmstead.
Contact us for bookings and rates at Kontrei Traveller +27 218711715 or email firstname.lastname@example.org