Garden Route Tour - Going Somewhere Slowly
6 Days/ 5 Nights, Bed & Breakfast- Max 10 persons
Please note: Meals/snacks (other than breakfast) and drinks for your own account
DAY 1: Paarl, Klapmuts, Gordons Bay, Betty`s Bay, Kleinmond – Hermanus (±174km)
- Depart at 08h40 from Paarl to Exotic Animal World Klapmuts a sanctuary for a variety of exotic animals, such as spiders, snakes, monkeys, meerkats, scorpions and many species of birds. Enjoy coffee or tea in the garden before the next stage.
- On our way to Hermanus, we stop at Betty`s Bay Stony Point Penguin Colony Nature Reserve, home to one of the largest successful breeding colonies of African Penguin in the world.
- We continue the tour for our next visit at Harold Porter National Botanical Gardens, a magical display of proteas, ericas and leucadendrons set amidst meandering nature trails.
- On our way to Hermanus we move on for lunch at the Kleinmond Harbour a stimulating fashion, leisure and lifestyle destination with more than 27 galleries, shops and boasts a wide selection of restaurants.
- We book in at the Windsor Hotel which stand proudly on the edge of Hermanus’s breathtaking Walker Bay with a panoramic vista featuring the world’s best whale-watching available in most rooms. (B&B)
- The rest of the day is at leisure. The 120-year-old Windsor is near the town centre and its rich variety of restaurants, galleries, shops, whale watching, cliff path walk and much more to explore.
DAY 2: Hermanus, Stanford, Gansbaai, Pearley Beach, Bredasdorp, N2, Riversdale, Albertinia, – Mosselbaai (±307km)
- We depart (after breakfast) to Bredasdorp. The tragic history of the Agulhas coastline is dramatically evoked at the Shipwreck Museum.
- From there we take the road to Mossel Bay for our next stay over and stop at Albertinia Diensstasie for a leg stretch and to freshen up.
- We continue to Mossel Bay and book in at the Santos Express Train Lodge, sleep on “The Train” as it is known by locals situated next to Santos Beach. (B&B)
- Rest of the day at leisure.
- Visit the Bartolomeu Dias Museum Complex, Explore the Museum Attractions: The Post Tree, The Malay Graves, The Fountain, Botanical Garden, The Munrohoek Cottages and The Field Garden.
- There are many other museums in the town to visit including the Maritime Museum, the Granary, the Shell Museum and the Cultural History Museum.
- Seal Island is home to a breeding colony of hundreds of seals and their cubs and they can be viewed from the daily cruise or from land.
- Visit the Cape St. Blaize Lighthouse at The Point, most famous landmark in Mossel Bay. The Shark Lab - Mini Aquarium Hands-on experiences with small sharks & tanks exhibiting an octopus & other marine life is also an attraction the look in while there.
- Dinner at Pavilion Reataurant/Jackal on the Beach on Santos beach within walking distance from the train lodge.
DAY 3 Mossel Bay – Stormsrivier Tsitsikama (±202km)
- Enjoy a stroll on the beach after breakfast before we check out at 10h00 to depart to Keurboomstrand to enjoy lunch at Ristorante Enrico. The terrace of Enrico's in Keurbooms is a prime site for watching dolphins and whales with swooping views across the bay to Robberg.
- After lunch we visit Monkeyland and Birds of Eden for an two hour tour. Spend an hour in the natural forest in Monkeyland with one of their trained guides. Then go for a hike through the award wining aviary at Birds of Eden. 220 Different species & subspecies of birds totalling over 3500 birds.
- From there we leave for Stormsrivier in the Tsitsikama Nature Reserve for our third stay over literally with the sea on your doorstep. Our specialized guide will show you around.
- Cattle Baron Restaurant is conveniently within walking distance for dinner where breakfast will be served the next morning.
DAY 4: Stormsrivier – Plettenberg Bay (±65km)
- After breakfast we depart to Plettenberg Bay via the Grootrivier pass. The Grootrivier Pass was built by Thomas Bain between 1880 and 1883. The pass winds through the Tsitsikamma forest with occasional glimpses of the sea and winds its way down into Nature's Valley and then back out again, crossing a huge coastal plateau in the process.
- We stop at The Elephant Sanctuary, The Crags for a full elephant Introduction in forest and tour of the Sanctuary and Elephant Night Shelter, touching and interacting with Elephants. Feeding the elephants is included in the tour.
- From there it`s a short drive to your next destination Plettenberg Bay, Beacon Island Resort.
- Explore the town with all it`s shops and markets before we check in at the Beacon Island Resort with overlooking breath-taking views of the ocean. (Subject to availability) B&B. Alternative accommodation: The Bayview Hotel has breath-taking views of the Keurbooms River, Lookout Beach & Tsitsikamma mountains.
- Those who are interested could go out on a Dolphin Bay Cruise for 1½- 2 h departing at 15h00.
- Dinner at the restaurant in the resort for own account or if you prefer at one of the many excellent restaurants in town.
DAY 5: Plettenberg Bay – Knysna (±32km)
- After breakfast we depart to Knysna and go straight on a 4 hour tour to the Featherbed Nature Reserve. We travel there on a return ferry trip on the Knysna Lagoon to the Western Head. 4x4 vehicle & trailer drive up the headland onto the Reserve, stopping at spectacular viewpoints. Specialist guide giving information on history, fauna & flora. Optional guided 2.2km walk through coastal forest and fynbos into ancient sea caves.
- World renowned buffet lunch at an outdoor restaurant setting under a canopy of Milkwood trees included.
- On return we check in at one of the best hotel sites in South Africa, the Protea Hotel Knysna Quays with a spectacular outlook of the popular coastal town of Knysna. (B&B)
- Afternoon at leisure to explore the many art and craft shops.
- Sunset Cruise. The John Benn is a double-decker floating restaurant offering daily Lagoon cruises to the Knysna Heads. 18h00 for sunset cruise in summer - 17h00 sunset cruise in winter. 1½ Hours.
- Dinner for own account at the resort or one of the popular restaurants on the waterfront.
DAY 6: Knysna – Paarl (±437km)
- No rush breakfast on the last day with check out time 10h00.
- We travel from Knysna through Wildernis and stop at Dolpin Point overlooking the Kaaimans River train bridge. From there we follow the N2 past George and Mossel Bay to stop at Tuinplaas, Albertinia.
- Tuinplaas is an unique experience on the Garden Route to visit our beautiful garden in Rome or Tiny Town and indulge in our delightful Plaaskombuis with its unique South African Traditional Cuisine. True hidden treasure!
- After lunch we take on the road back home again and travel through Riversdale past Heidelberg and Swellendam where we turn off towards Ashton, Robertson and Worcester to end off our “Going Somewhere Slowly” Garden Route Tour in Paarl.